Six Mistakes Many Search Committees Are Making Today
- Taking too long
- Playing candidates off one another
- Not doing background checks: legal, social media, credit;
- They are not asking “#MeToo” questions
- Not providing clarity to internal candidates
- They are not communicating sufficiently to the congregation
Some highlights from today’s Rainer Report:
- There is no reason why it should take as long as it normally does to fill pastoral vacancies.
- You should always run legal, social media, and credit background checks on potential pastors before hiring them.
- Pastors, your social media footprint will follow you throughout life. Don’t do stupid.
- You don’t have to give all the details of a pastor search to a church, but the congregation needs ongoing updates.