Job Summary: The Director of Music will serve our church and community in a multi-faceted music ministry. Thorough knowledge of traditional Catholic hymnody and choral literature. Openness to diverse styles of music. Ability to work with adults and youth to develop soloists, choirs, ensembles. Commitment to church music as a calling through which one communicates God’s grace and presence in the world. Willingness to develop and nurture collaborative relationships with our choir, staff and Pastors.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Essential Functions/Job Responsibilities:
· Skilled organist, pianist, and choral director.
· Principal accompanist for all weekend liturgies, school Masses, holy days, feast days, weddings, funerals, and special liturgies (ie Advent, Christmas, Lent, Triduum, Easter), and sacraments (ie Confirmation, First Communion)
· Organize and schedule all music for the parish
· Recruits, trains, rehearses, and provides ongoing formation for volunteer cantors for sung weekend Masses
· Partners with an assistant conductor/organist
· Maintains music budget
· Arrange for tuning and maintenance of organ and piano
· Arrange for maintenance of all electronic and sound equipment
· Responsible for music selection, accompaniment, scheduling, and rehearsing of adult choir
· Grows the music program with additional liturgies, services and/or concerts
· Attend staff meetings as directed by Pastor
· School programs: Plan school Masses (select music, make copies of readings); Partner with teachers with Mass plans in advance of scheduled Mass; Maintain Mass schedule in Priest sacristy; Practice with Cantors and/or readers before scheduled Mass
Specific Job Skills and Qualifications:
· Preferred practicing Roman Catholic in good standing with the church who has the ability to respect, promote and not be in conflict with the mission, moral and social teachings, doctrines and laws of the Roman Catholic faith.
· Must have a high degree of proficiency in playing the piano and organ
· Knowledge of the Catholic Church’s liturgical and musical tradition and current legislation
· Ability to work independently, organize and arrange priorities
· Excellent written and verbal skills to communicate effectively and work closely with parish, school and administrative staff
· Must have the ability to work cooperatively, and communicate effectively to function in a diverse community environment
· Ability to foster trust and respect among Parish and School leadership and personnel as well as their constituents
· Collaborative work style, initiative, and flexibility
· Strong sense of integrity
· Potential substitute teacher opportunities at St. Joseph Catholic School
· Working knowledge of other instruments which might be used in the liturgical setting
Required Education and Preferred Experience
· A bachelor’s degree in Music or related field is required or three to five years of Music experience in a similar position
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, reach, feel, sit, climb, hear, and perform repetitive motions of the hands/wrists. Lifts and moves items up to 30 pounds.
$35,000-$45,000 potential base salary based on experience. Potential $2000-$3000 stipend paid in addition to salary for funerals and weddings.