Reports to: Pastor
Interested Parties should contact Tryg Jensen at email@example.com
At Messiah, music is intended to be a shared ministry that consists of various musical groups/programs as identified by the congregation. The coordinator of Music Ministry will serve as music liaison for worship planning as well as serve as accompanist, organist, and choir director.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Collaborate with Pastor and Office Manager to plan and coordinate the entire music program for worship.
● Play the piano/organ for worship services (one per week, more during holiday seasons).
● Coordinate and schedules music programs throughout the congregation.
● Direct and schedule the congregation’s choir, including weekly rehearsals.
● Coordinate with special/guest musicians and singers for services/events; recruit and facilitate participation from all age groups within the congregation.
Other duties consist of, but are not limited to…
● Participate with church staff, Pastor and other leaders in facilitating congregational goals, assuming responsibility for tasks as mutually agreed with the Pastor. Secure replacements for vacation/absences.
● Make available new resources and ideas to program participants.
● Determine and submit the annual budget requirements for the music program and administrate the expenditures of the approved budget; oversee musical instrument care and maintenance.
● Play piano/organ for weddings and funerals upon request. (will be compensated)
● Providing the congregation with music notes and education in the messenger or bulletin.
● Coordinate and collaborate with Messiah’s Child Care Center to promote music education.
● Properly and effectively maximize our resources to provide the best possible music at worship.
● Showing care and respect to the shared space with other congregations who use Messiah’s space to worship.
Hours and Compensation
The music coordinator position is a part-time salaried employee who will work 15 hours/week. This will include 5-6 hours per week for administrative tasks. It is understood that hours will vary according to the season of the church. Hours are flexible.
Compensation will vary between $18-22/hour depending on education and qualification. The position will receive three days paid time off for Sunday worship, and seven days paid time off and sick days their first year. This will increase to four Sundays and 10 week days after five years in the position. The position will also be given an extra Sunday off if they are present for worship during all major holiday seasons.
Qualified applicants will have the following characteristics:
● Passion for exalting God, exhorting and leading through music
● An experienced musician with knowledge of hymns and church music. Skilled pianist with the ability to lead worship. Ability to play the organ or other instruments is encouraged.
● Degree in music, church music, or other related degree, or a history of experience in the field.
● Demonstrated skill and competency at the keyboard, particularly organ and piano, and a working knowledge of other instruments.
● Ability to communicate in a welcoming, positive manner in such a way as to serve as an effective representative of the church staff and congregation.
● Demonstrated knowledge of Lutheran theology, liturgical practice and use of music in worship.
Applicants will be expected to carry out the designated policies established by the Pastor, Executive Committee and congregation. The will also carry absolute discretion in dealing with confidential information about office procedures and members and families of the congregation. Cooperation and coordination among the Music Coordinator, Pastor, Child Care Center staff and families, and other members of the office/support staff is essential and expected.
All members of the church staff are accountable to the Pastor. Daily review of ministry activities/responsibilities with the Pastor and weekly staff meetings are held.
The music coordinator will be able to effectively play the piano or organ at worship. The employee should be able to lift 25 pounds and walk up and down a flight of stairs.