The Pastor of Youth and Family Discipleship will oversee family ministry with a special emphasis on youth. He will provide leadership of Skandia’s youth while overseeing the children’s ministries in order that children and youth might know Christ, become like Him, and make Him known. He will also lead us to disciple/evangelize families, youth, and children both inside and outside of Skandia. This position will provide vision and shepherding to ensure the continuity of discipleship from birth through high school.
1. Spiritually Mature: A vibrant, mature, and growing relationship with Jesus Christ as
demonstrated by a life that consistently reflects His character and priorities. A humble
and teachable spirit, pursuing holiness. Feeds himself spiritually in order that he might
feed others spiritually. (Gal 5:16-24; 1 Tim 3:1-7; 1 Pet 5:1-5; Heb 5:14)
2. Biblically Sound: Confident in the handling of God’s Word, with a deepening grasp of
its truths. Able to communicate those truths clearly and compellingly with students,
parents, and volunteers and apply it to their unique needs and challenges. In full
agreement with EFCA Statement of Faith and willing to pursue EFCA credentials. (1 Tim
4:11-16; 2 Tim 2:15; Deut 6:4-9)
3. Passionately Committed: A genuine love for students and the family and a sense of
divine calling to ministry. A passion for unbelievers to come to know Christ. Driven to
serve the Lord – joyfully, energetically, and faithfully. (2 Tim 1:5-7; Eph 4:11-12; Matt
4. Relationally Inclined: Connects easily and relate well to students, adults, and parents in
the congregation and the community. Emotionally healthy and sensitive to the needs of
others. Friendly, compassionate, tactful, helpful, a team player. (Eph 4:15-16; Jas 1:19;
5. A Gifted Leader: Able to inspire, give clear direction, mobilize a team, organize
resources, and execute a plan. Skilled speaker, effective motivator of people, influencing
others by word and example to follow Jesus Christ. (2 Tim 2:2; Matt 20:25-28: Eph 4:1112)
6. Education/Experience: Prior youth and/or family ministry experience. Able to
demonstrate a strong background in biblical knowledge, youth ministry, family
discipleship, teaching, and outreach. Must have a bachelor’s degree or comparable
training in Biblical studies. A master’s degree is preferred, but not required. All training and
experience will be considered.
7. Embraces the opportunity of rural ministry: Skandia is located in one of the most rural counties in Minnesota. The ideal candidate will be excited about the opportunities that this creates for Gospel transformation in multiple towns and communities across our region. He will see this as an asset to the unique Gospel call of the church rather than a liability.
1. Student Ministry: Develop the disciple-making ministry to youth that balances winning
them to Christ, deepening their faith, and equipping them to reach and disciple their peers
and the world for Christ. Help integrate students into church life and prepare them for continued church involvement after graduation.
2. Family Ministry: Equip parents and families to be the primary disciple makers of their
children so that God’s Word and a Biblical worldview is learned and lived out in the
home and community
3. Teach the Word: Oversee and practice a teaching approach that emphasizes the authority
of God’s Word and helps youth and children develop a Biblical worldview with
application of Scripture to daily life.
4. Shepherding: Shepherd youth at Skandia, providing them with spiritual care and counsel,
while implementing a comprehensive plan to connect with and disciple youth in the
schools and community.
5. Team Leadership: Recruit and train teams of disciple-makers for the youth and children’s
ministries who will assist with planning and leadership of these ministries and who will
disciple youth and children to become disciple-makers through small groups, classroom
settings and one-on-one.
6. Community Partnerships: Partner with area youth ministries in reaching our
community for Christ.
7. Children’s Ministry:
Work with the Christian education board in crafting a discipleship strategy for all children’s and youth ministry.
8. Preaching: Preferably preach at least 6 times per year and provide leadership in Senior Pastor’s absence.
9. Administration: Plan ahead and follow through. Communicate with parents, elders,
volunteers, and staff effectively and in a timely manner. Coordinate with the church
calendar and provide fiscal oversight of the student and children’s ministry budgets. Do
all that is necessary to work faithfully and safely with those in our care.
10. Team Player: Reports directly to the Senior Pastor, supporting the vision and values of Skandia. Be interwoven in the life of the body of Christ at Skandia. Work closely with the Senior Pastor toward common goals. Be accountable to the Senior Pastor and Elders.
Division of Time: (Flexible based upon gifting)
70% – Leading Youth Ministry
20% – Discipling/Training Parents and Family Ministry
5% – Overseeing Children’s Ministry
5% – Preaching
Interested candidates should respond send your resume to email@example.com or
Skandia Evangelical Free Church 722 221st St. Balaton, MN 56115
Please call if you have any questions 507-734-4944
You must sign in to apply for this position.