About Machias Valley Baptist Church
In the early 1950’s, two families moved to the area and saw a need for a gospel preaching church in Machias. They started meeting in homes, grew in number, and prayed for a pastor and a building.
In 1956, as an answer to prayer, they called George Henderson, an ambitious young man straight out of Bible college to be their pastor. The growing body of believers rescued the abandoned Universalist Church building in 1959.
The ministry continued to grow and reach out to the people in the Machias Bay area. With a few additions and many renovations, the building continues to be the meeting place for Machias Valley Baptist Church. Pastor Henderson faithfully served as pastor for 50 years. Since his retirement in 2008, we have had three pastors serve and walk with us as God continues His work here. Adam Wolfgang is currently serving as our interim pastor.
From the very inception of the church, its purpose has been to teach the Word of God, share the gospel, and lead people to salvation and growth in the Lord. As church members, we are dedicated to this mission and look forward with anticipation and much prayer for our future pastor, knowing that God will do “immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us. To him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” (Ephesians 3:20-21)